Ruten Fjellstue, located in Espedalen, is an authentic Norwegian mountain lodge packed with history. The lodge offers spectacular views towards Jotunheimen, and has been a popular venue for accommodation, functions, and gatherings for 70 years. Run by the same family for three generations, its current hosts, Berit and Arthur, pride themselves on good food, a traditional setting, and a friendly atmosphere.
Activities – summer
The landscape is ideal for hiking, biking, horseback riding, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. Four national parks and 93 of Jotunheimen’s over 2000-metre-high peaks are visible from the top of the Ruten mountain (1517 m) – a spectacular hike of approx. 4-5 hours there and back.
Activities – winter
Espedalen offers excellent cross-country skiing trails, and activities for all age groups are available. We offer beginner courses in cross-country skiing, snowboarding, and alpine skiing – for individuals as well as groups. Try canyoning and ice climbing in Helvete – Northern Europe’s largest potholes, explore with a children's wilderness club, relax in outdoor hot-tubs, enjoy Fjord-horse-drawn sleigh rides, or experience snowshoe walks.
* Cross-country and touring skis, snowshoes, and pulks available for hire
Mjølkevegen bicycle ride
Mjølkevegen is one of Norway’s most spectacular bicycle adventure routes, and leads through a beautiful mountain and cultural landscape between Vinstra in Gudbrandsdalen and Gol in Hallingdal.
Local culinary experiences
Berit’s food is cooked from scratch, and is based on local produce and ingredients – from vegetables and herbs to fish and meats.
Espedalen Fjellbryggeri is Ruten Fjellstue’s very own mountain brewery. The beer can be sampled as you enjoy our traditional cuisine. Beer tasting and guided tours of the brewery are available throughout the winter season, and on request the rest of the year.
Elk observation tower in Espedalen
Enjoy a spectacular experience out of the ordinary! Stay the night in a 12-metre-high elk observation tower – a unique wilderness adventure with excellent opportunities for close-up encounters with the king of the forest. The observation tower is a great destination all year round. Guests staying at Ruten Fjellstue for five nights or more will receive a 25% discount on a stay in the tower.
Ruten Fjellstue has 24 rooms of basic standard, with shower and toilet facilities – 12 double rooms, 9 large family rooms, and 3 single rooms. Relax in an outdoor hot-tub as you take in the beautiful views – or maybe you prefer a sauna instead. Several lounges, bar, TV room, library, and table tennis area are also available.
Ruten Fjellstue enjoys a beautiful setting uppermost in Espedalen, a side valley of Gudbrandsdalen, and is located along route 255 (Bjørnsonvegen) between Peer Gynt Veien and Jotunheimveien.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- pglejmSanta Cruz, CaliforniaTrip Type:Friends getawayExcellent!Monday, 31st July 2017Small rooms but very comfortable. Rooms with a view of the mountains are outstanding and should be asked for if available. Everything you need in the rooms....lights, outlets, shampoo/conditioner... Read full review
- pdigreOslo, NorwayTrip Type:FamilyLovely mountain hotelTuesday, 1st August 2017This is mainly a winter skiing resort, but has plenty of nice scenery for summer time as well. It is an old Sæter, summer place for animals and has some interesting really old buildings. Excellent... Read full review
- StagsenKongens Lyngby, DenmarkWarm and welcoming family-run "Fjellstue"Sunday, 15th March 2020Ruten Fjellstue serves as a brilliant base for cross country skiing with several trails in forests as well as mountains above the tree line. The little family-run hotel has great rooms and cosy... Read full review
- banqueting rooms
- banqueting rooms
- breakfast included
- conference facilities
- dance floor
- dining room
- dogs allowed
- full board
- hot tub
- recreations facilities
- reservations accepted
- suitable for children
- wireless Internet
- colour TV
- ensuite baths
- family room
- internet in room
- music system
- no TV in rooms
- rooms for allergy sufferers