At Maihaugen's Christmas Market you can experience the good, old Christmas feeling in beautiful historical surroundings.
The Christmas market offers Christmas shopping, Christmas-decorated houses from different eras and activities for the whole family.
At the Christmas Market you will find a wide selection of stalls with Norwegian craft and home craft products, local food and Christmas decorations. These are high quality products perfect to bring home. Here you can find the special Christmas gifts.
Christmas decorated houses
The unique thing about Maihaugen's Christmas market is to experience how Christmas was celebrated in the past. The lights are lit in the historic houses, where you can come in and experience Christmas as in the old days.
- The open-hearth house from Tolstad. Christmas in the Middle Ages.
- The Parsonage. Christmas in the 1780s.
- The Øygarden farm. Christmas in the 1890s.
- The Pharmacist's Apartment. Christmas at the pharmacist's family in the 1890s.
- Hage. Christmas in the town in 1918.
- The 1920s house. Christmas at Miss Johanne Lunde's in the 1920s.
- The 1940s house. Christmas preparations during World War II in 1944.
- The 1950s house. Christmas in the 1950s.
- The cabin Vy. Modern cabin Christmas like in 2019.
- Queen Sonja's childhood home is not open, but you may look in through the windows at the veranda and see the living room decorated for Christmas as around 1960.
We recommend being here at dusk. The atmosphere when the lanterns are lit is very special.
There are many fun activities for children, such as gingerbread baking, various Christmas workshops, sleigh rides, pony riding, visit the animals in the barn, candy fish ponds and nailing.
There is also Christmas carols, music, crafts and Christmas card photography.
In the visitor center you can see Maihaugen's Christmas tree which this year has been decorated by jewelery artist Anna Talbot.
Tickets available at the museum or online.
More information and tickets at Maihaugen's web pages
|Season (2 Dec 2023 - 3 Dec 2023)|