The museum is temporarily closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Maihaugen offers activities and experiences for the whole family. Enjoy the idyllic surroundings and experience life like it was in the old days.
Every day during the main season from mid June to mid August you can participate in our popular walking plays suitable for both children and adults. There are also guided tours every day from May to mid October.
Living history in the summer
These show how people have lived in the Gudbrandsdalen Valley.
Each day during the summer you can meet the farmer, his family and the workers at the farm around the 1890’s. You can also participate in an old-fashioned school lesson from the last half of the 1800’s.
A main attraction is the Garmo stave church from the 1200s.
Visit houses from each decade during the 20th Century and feel the nostalgic memories when you enter the 1970s and -80s house. You may also visit the childhood residence of Norway’s Queen Sonja from the end of August 2018.
The children love to watch the grazing animals, that are from old breed, in the open-air museum.
Open all year
During the winter season the doors at several houses are open for you to take a glimpse through.
All year you can enjoy several excellent exhibitions, like the indoor exhibition “We won the land” where you walk through tableaus from Norwegian history from the ice age till today.
The museum has several cafes and both a museum shop and a historic shop open in the high season. The museum shop and the café in the visitor center is open all year round.
In the visitor center you can also visit the Norwegian Olympic Museum, telling the history of the 1994 Winter Olympics, among other Olympic moments from all over the world.
The Christmas market the first weekend of advent is worth a visit. Experience Christmas decorated historic homes, stalls selling quality products and lots of activities for children.
There is also a Children's Winter Day in February and a Children's Summer Day in the end of August, both with lots of activities for children of all ages. At June 23rd Maihaugen offers traditional Norwegian Midsummer celebration.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good193
- merlinsurrietrekkerGlenshaw, PennsylvaniaTrip Type:CouplesMust SeeWednesday, 18th September 2019Great idea by a forward thinking man to establish this museum to ancestral treasures. We had a lovely guide share the background of the founder, site, and many of the buildings. During the tour... Read full review
- myt2015Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaTrip Type:CouplesAmazing park - inadequate direction signs - could get lostThursday, 10th October 2019Nice big park with some 200 old to ancient buildings made of timbers and roof made of slate and grasses. All the buildings were unique in their own ways. There is a big pond which has many wild ducks... Read full review
- amandatallullahNew Ross, IrelandTrip Type:CouplesAn insight into traditional Nordic style buildingsMonday, 23rd December 2019Does as it says on the tin. In winter with the snow it was quite beautiful to walk around. Lots of different wooden cabins and building that represented classic style from days gone by. Set in... Read full review
- dogs on a leash are allowed
- family friendly
- open all year
- outdoor parking - surcharge
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- museum shop
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|2 Jan 2020 - 16 Feb 2020||NOK135.00|
|12 June 2020 - 16 Aug 2020||NOK175.00|
|Children 6-15 years||NOK65.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2020 - 16 Feb 2020||NOK65.00|
|12 June 2020 - 16 Aug 2020||NOK85.00|
|Family ticket||NOK335.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2020 - 16 Feb 2020||NOK335.00|
|12 June 2020 - 16 Aug 2020||NOK435.00|
|2 Jan 2020 - 16 Feb 2020||NOK95.00|
|12 June 2020 - 16 Aug 2020||NOK115.00|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Stiftelsen Miljøfyrtårn Eco-Lighthouse
|June – August (12 June 2020 - 16 Aug 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Fall (17 Aug 2020 - 23 Dec 2020)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Christmas (26 Dec 2020 - 30 Dec 2020)|
|Saturday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Tuesday - Wednesday||11:00||- 15:00|