Maihaugen offers activities and experiences for the whole family. Enjoy the idyllic surroundings and experience life like it was in the old days.
Every day during the main season from mid June to mid August you can participate in our popular walking plays suitable for both children and adults. There are also guided tours every day from May to mid October.
Living history in the summer
These show how people have lived in the Gudbrandsdalen Valley.
Each day during the summer you can meet the farmer, his family and the workers at the farm around the 1890’s. You can also participate in an old-fashioned school lesson from the last half of the 1800’s.
A main attraction is the Garmo stave church from the 1200s.
Visit houses from each decade during the 20th Century and feel the nostalgic memories when you enter the 1970s and -80s house. You may also visit the childhood residence of Norway’s Queen Sonja from the end of August 2018.
The children love to watch the grazing animals, that are from old breed, in the open-air museum.
Open all year
During the winter season the doors at several houses are open for you to take a glimpse through.
All year you can enjoy several excellent exhibitions, like the indoor exhibition “We won the land” where you walk through tableaus from Norwegian history from the ice age till today.
The museum has several cafes and both a museum shop and a historic shop open in the high season. The museum shop and the café in the visitor center is open all year round.
In the visitor center you can also visit the Norwegian Olympic Museum, telling the history of the 1994 Winter Olympics, among other Olympic moments from all over the world.
The Christmas market the first weekend of advent is worth a visit. Experience Christmas decorated historic homes, stalls selling quality products and lots of activities for children.
There is also a Children's Winter Day in February and a Children's Summer Day in the end of August, both with lots of activities for children of all ages. At June 23rd Maihaugen offers traditional Norwegian Midsummer celebration.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good183
- runenavyLillehammer Region, NorwayTrip Type:FamilyA great place to visit for recreation and lessons in history👍🏼Saturday, 27th April 2019I have been here several times and it is absolutely a must visit place when you visit Lillehammer. Old re- stored buildings with people guiding you dressed in autentic clothes. Animals used as... Read full review
- moscow2042Moscow, Russiatime machine walkTuesday, 14th May 2019Musium is representing small fishing village that you can visit in Lillehammer. All internal expostions was closed but we spend good time to expore everthing availble on open air. It is good place... Read full review
- Dalle1985Esbjerg, DenmarkTrip Type:CouplesNot much to seeFriday, 14th June 2019The visitor center was closed, but the exhibition was open so you could just walk in. It wasn’t much to look at though and toilet facilities (both at the visitors center and at the church) was locked... Read full review
- dogs on a leash are allowed
- family friendly
- open all year
- outdoor parking - surcharge
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- museum shop
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK135.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK175.00|
|Children 6-15 years||NOK85.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK65.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK85.00|
|Family ticket||NOK435.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK335.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK435.00|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK95.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK115.00|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
MapExplore the region
Maihaugen is within walking distance of the centre of Lillehammer and the railwaystation. There are signs to the museum from the mainroad E6.
- Stiftelsen Miljøfyrtårn Eco-Lighthouse
|Maihaugen (1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Maihaugen (1 Sept 2019 - 14 Oct 2019)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Maihaugen (15 Oct 2019 - 30 Dec 2019)|
|Tuesday - Friday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|