Maihaugen offers activities and experiences for the whole family. Enjoy the idyllic surroundings and experience life like it was in the old days.
Every day during the main season from mid June to mid August you can participate in our popular walking plays suitable for both children and adults. There are also guided tours every day from May to mid October.
Living history in the summer
These show how people have lived in the Gudbrandsdalen Valley.
Each day during the summer you can meet the farmer, his family and the workers at the farm around the 1890’s. You can also participate in an old-fashioned school lesson from the last half of the 1800’s.
A main attraction is the Garmo stave church from the 1200s.
Visit houses from each decade during the 20th Century and feel the nostalgic memories when you enter the 1970s and -80s house. You may also visit the childhood residence of Norway’s Queen Sonja from the end of August 2018.
The children love to watch the grazing animals, that are from old breed, in the open-air museum.
Open all year
During the winter season the doors at several houses are open for you to take a glimpse through.
All year you can enjoy several excellent exhibitions, like the indoor exhibition “We won the land” where you walk through tableaus from Norwegian history from the ice age till today.
The museum has several cafes and both a museum shop and a historic shop open in the high season. The museum shop and the café in the visitor center is open all year round.
In the visitor center you can also visit the Norwegian Olympic Museum, telling the history of the 1994 Winter Olympics, among other Olympic moments from all over the world.
The Christmas market the first weekend of advent is worth a visit. Experience Christmas decorated historic homes, stalls selling quality products and lots of activities for children.
There is also a Children's Winter Day in February and a Children's Summer Day in the end of August, both with lots of activities for children of all ages. At June 23rd Maihaugen offers traditional Norwegian Midsummer celebration.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good181
- Runnerny2244South Orange, New JerseyTrip Type:CouplesNorwegian HistorySunday, 16th September 2018This is a cool place to walk around on a day with nice weather. They have all kinds of old buildings from around Norway from historic times. Read full review
- lisa cWashington DC, District of ColumbiaTrip Type:Solo travelA wonder world of old NorwayTuesday, 9th October 2018Our guide was outstanding, and you could wander all over and see the varied buildings. Sometimes they were not open, which was a disappointment, but it was beautiful Read full review
- Kathe HBrevard, NCBest in NorwayThursday, 11th October 2018Best open air museum we experienced in Norway. Over 200 structures but all are arranged in interesting and educational groupings. Highly recommend. Read full review
- dogs on a leash are allowed
- family friendly
- open all year
- outdoor parking - surcharge
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- museum shop
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|2 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019||NOK135.00|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK175.00|
|Children 6-15 years||NOK85.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019||NOK65.00|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK85.00|
|Family ticket||NOK435.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019||NOK335.00|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK435.00|
|2 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019||NOK95.00|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK115.00|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
MapExplore the region
Maihaugen is within walking distance of the centre of Lillehammer and the railwaystation. There are signs to the museum from the mainroad E6.
- Stiftelsen Miljøfyrtårn Eco-Lighthouse
|Maihaugen (2 Jan 2018 - 1 Jan 2019)|
|Tuesday - Friday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Maihaugen (1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|