Maihaugen offers activities and experiences for the whole family. Enjoy the idyllic surroundings and experience life like it was in the old days.
Every day during the main season from mid June to mid August you can participate in our popular walking plays suitable for both children and adults. There are also guided tours every day from May to mid October.
Living history in the summer
These show how people have lived in the Gudbrandsdalen Valley.
Each day during the summer you can meet the farmer, his family and the workers at the farm around the 1890’s. You can also participate in an old-fashioned school lesson from the last half of the 1800’s.
A main attraction is the Garmo stave church from the 1200s.
Visit houses from each decade during the 20th Century and feel the nostalgic memories when you enter the 1970s and -80s house. You may also visit the childhood residence of Norway’s Queen Sonja from the end of August 2018.
The children love to watch the grazing animals, that are from old breed, in the open-air museum.
Open all year
During the winter season the doors at several houses are open for you to take a glimpse through.
All year you can enjoy several excellent exhibitions, like the indoor exhibition “We won the land” where you walk through tableaus from Norwegian history from the ice age till today.
The museum has several cafes and both a museum shop and a historic shop open in the high season. The museum shop and the café in the visitor center is open all year round.
In the visitor center you can also visit the Norwegian Olympic Museum, telling the history of the 1994 Winter Olympics, among other Olympic moments from all over the world.
The Christmas market the first weekend of advent is worth a visit. Experience Christmas decorated historic homes, stalls selling quality products and lots of activities for children.
There is also a Children's Winter Day in February and a Children's Summer Day in the end of August, both with lots of activities for children of all ages. At June 23rd Maihaugen offers traditional Norwegian Midsummer celebration.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good191
- ProgenitorCentral Hungary, HungaryTrip Type:CouplesVery Large Collection of Historic HousesSunday, 4th August 2019This is a wonderful way to see how Norwegians lived in the past. Particularly interesting are the farmhouses, which represented a large portion of the population in the country around Lillehammer. Read full review
- Steve PBaraboo, WisconsinniceTuesday, 6th August 2019These buildings are fantastic! Just walking in them gives you a feeling of almost being there when they were built. Read full review
- aquispelZoeterwoude, The NetherlandsTrip Type:FamilyNice open air museum!Friday, 16th August 2019Really nice and large museum about the history of Norway in the open air. With a lot of old buildings and nice surroundings you can spend quite a bit of time here. There are also a few activities... Read full review
- dogs on a leash are allowed
- family friendly
- open all year
- outdoor parking - surcharge
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- museum shop
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK135.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK175.00|
|Children 6-15 years||NOK85.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK65.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK85.00|
|Family ticket||NOK435.00 tickets|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK335.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK435.00|
|2 Jan 2019 - 30 Apr 2019||NOK95.00|
|1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019||NOK115.00|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
MapExplore the region
Maihaugen is within walking distance of the centre of Lillehammer and the railwaystation. There are signs to the museum from the mainroad E6.
- Stiftelsen Miljøfyrtårn Eco-Lighthouse
|Maihaugen (1 June 2019 - 31 Aug 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Maihaugen (1 Sept 2019 - 14 Oct 2019)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Maihaugen (15 Oct 2019 - 30 Dec 2019)|
|Tuesday - Friday||11:00||- 15:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|