Maihaugen offers activities and experiences for the whole family. Enjoy the idyllic surroundings and experience life like it was in the old days.
Every day during the main season from mid June to mid August you can participate in our popular walking plays suitable for both children and adults. There are also guided tours every day from May to mid October.
Living history in the summer
These show how people have lived in the Gudbrandsdalen Valley.
Each day during the summer you can meet the farmer, his family and the workers at the farm around the 1890’s. You can also participate in an old-fashioned school lesson from the last half of the 1800’s.
A main attraction is the Garmo stave church from the 1200s.
Visit houses from each decade during the 20th Century and feel the nostalgic memories when you enter the 1970s and -80s house. You may also visit the childhood residence of Norway’s Queen Sonja from the end of August 2018.
The children love to watch the grazing animals, that are from old breed, in the open-air museum.
Open all year
During the winter season the doors at several houses are open for you to take a glimpse through.
All year you can enjoy several excellent exhibitions, like the indoor exhibition “We won the land” where you walk through tableaus from Norwegian history from the ice age till today.
The museum has several cafes and both a museum shop and a historic shop open in the high season. The museum shop and the café in the visitor center is open all year round.
In the visitor center you can also visit the Norwegian Olympic Museum, telling the history of the 1994 Winter Olympics, among other Olympic moments from all over the world.
The Christmas market the first weekend of advent is worth a visit. Experience Christmas decorated historic homes, stalls selling quality products and lots of activities for children.
There is also a Children's Winter Day in February and a Children's Summer Day in the end of August, both with lots of activities for children of all ages. At June 23rd Maihaugen offers traditional Norwegian Midsummer celebration.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good175
- Daniele ACanton of Bern, SwitzerlandTrip Type:CouplesLoved the actors performanceSaturday, 11th August 2018The museum is very big and has a lot of different houses of different times. At some specific hours in the day the are some actors that pop out of nowhere to bring you in the past with very nice... Read full review
- sigrunhelgagNannestad Municipality, NorwayTrip Type:FamilyA wonderful place to spend the day, for everyone.Tuesday, 7th August 2018We spent a whole day there. Our children found it adventurous and we enjoyed the day. Very interesting buildings and surroundings, our children especially enjoyed meeting the goats. Read full review
- AbelWeiExcellent place to visitSunday, 5th August 2018The open air museum is amazing. It consists of the traditional Norwegian wooden huts and houses. There are actors dressed in the time periods through out the part to explain things to the visitors... Read full review
- dogs on a leash are allowed
- family friendly
- open all year
- outdoor parking - surcharge
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- museum shop
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||NOK 175.- tickets|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK 175.-|
|1 Sept 2018 - 31 May 2019||NOK 135.-|
|Children 6-15 years||NOK 85.- tickets|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK 85.-|
|1 Sept 2018 - 31 May 2019||NOK 65.-|
|Family ticket||NOK 435.- tickets|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK 435.-|
|1 Sept 2018 - 31 May 2019||NOK 335.-|
|Senior/Student||NOK 115.- tickets|
|1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018||NOK 115.-|
|1 Sept 2018 - 31 May 2019||NOK 95.-|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
MapExplore the region
Maihaugen is within walking distance of the centre of Lillehammer and the railwaystation. There are signs to the museum from the mainroad E6.
- Stiftelsen Miljøfyrtårn Eco-Lighthouse
|Maihaugen (1 June 2018 - 31 Aug 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Maihaugen (1 Sept 2018 - 31 May 2019)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|