Beautifully situated at the top of the mountain valley of Espedalen at 930 meters above sea level, Dalseter Høyfjellshotell has a wonderful view of the valley and the mountains in Jotunheimen National Park.
This welcoming family-run hotel was rebuilt in 1964 after a devastating fire. Formerly a lodge before it was rebuilt as an hotel, it was originally designed by the grandfather of the current owner. His unique ideas are particularly apparent in the restaurant and lounge, with windows designed to maximise enjoyment of the view from all angles. The expansive views are indeed awe inspiring, taking in the valley, river, lake and mountains. Norway’s highest peak, Galdhøpiggen, which stands at 2469 m (8100 ft) can even be seen on a clear day.
A lovely retreat
With comfortable accommodation and a huge variety at all buffet meals, Dalseter offers the guest a lovely retreat after a busy day spent enjoying yourself during the summer months at a mind-boggling variety of pursuits: Icelandic horseback riding, mountain hiking, canoeing, fishing in the mountain lakes and cycling on forest roads.
Public areas within the hotel include the fireplace lounge, several snugs for common use, a small library and a children’s playroom. In addition, a hall and meeting room are available for hire and a small shop adjacent to reception sells all those essential tourist items. With a swimming pool at the south end of the complex and two small saunas and a table tennis room nearby, you will be spoiled for choice.
In addition, for two months over summer, an on-site riding school offers horse treks in the nearby trails or riding classes, if you prefer, catering to all levels of experience.
Espedalen offers a spectacular walking terrain, stretching from the lakes down in the valley and up through the forest to the high mountain. At 1571 m a.s.l., Ruten is the highest point and can offer its visitors breathtaking views towards both Jotunheimen and Rondane. Mountain bikes, canoes and rowing boats can be hired at the hotel. Guided walks, bike rides and canoeing are also available for those looking for more organised activities.
In Espedalen you will have room to relax in beautiful, natural surroundings, with fishing waters, hunting and hiking areas at your doorstep. We emphasize “nature experiences” without time pressures or hassles. Everyone who visits here will get a chance to relax and recharge their batteries.
Summer or winter, the experience will be delightful. Each season has it own charms. We strive to provide an atmosphere for both young and old to have the best vacation possible, and allow you to determine the content and tempo of your vacation time yourself.
In addition to all of the activities that you can do on your own, we collaborate with our neighbor Ruten Fjellstue for a wide program of organized activities and experiences each week for young and old, summer and winter.
Dalseter Mountain Hotel forms part of Lillehammer and Gudbrandsdalen’s cultural concept "Into Norway - Home of Culture". Are you looking to experience and learn more about Norwegian culture, history, and food traditions on your journey? Maybe in combination with activities in beautiful surroundings? Would you like to stay in unique, historical settings at their most authentic, leaving you with lifelong memories? Find more inspiration at intonorway.com.
We extend to you a hearty welcome to “Our Warm-Hearted Wilderness” in picturesque surroundings and an inviting, informal atmosphere.
The Gillebo Family and all the employees
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good8
- Peter499485Gerrards Cross, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayFriendly hotel of a high standard with good food and in a good location for cross country skiingTuesday, 12th February 2019This is a classic Norwegian Hoyfjellshotell. An older building, comfortable rather than luxurious, with old fashioned touches such as the handbell rung at 18.30 to announce that dinner is about to be... Read full review
- PeterKingBrightwellOxford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBreakfast and lunch too lateSaturday, 23rd February 2019Just finished a great week at Dalseter. Great cross country skiing location, very much geared to the intermediate and experienced skier. Ski from the door and back again, with lots of varied loops... Read full review
- 70John70Gloucester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA Mecca for UK Cross Country SkiersWednesday, 27th March 2019A lovely hotel in a lovely place. Good big room with a view and nice bath. Wonderful dining room with panoramic views. Nice breakfast and evening meal, good by Norway standards. Excellent buffet... Read full review
- dogs allowed
- family friendly
- pool - indoor
- smoking only allowed outdoors
- cross-country skiing equipment
- snow shoes
- open in the season